Est 1994, Sydney's oldest tourism website
The interior of the Christ Church St Laurence. Picture: Sardaka, Wikipedia
Construction of the Christ Church St Laurence began in 1840 on the original site of the parish hall which had been there since the mid 1830's. Prior to the construction of the church services were held in the Parish of St. Laurence storeroom. Henry Robertson was architect appointed to design the church. The original church was completed in 1841.
In 1853 the six bells (cast by John Taylor & Sons, Loughborough, Leicestershire in 1852) were installed.
The church was finally consecrated in 1845. The church buildings grew with the addition of a school and rectory.
The church was first restored on 1906 with further renovations occuring throughout the 60's 70's and 80's.
The Christ Church St Laurence is located at 507 Pitt Street, although entrance is gained via George Street. A minor quirky feature of the church is a buttress that extends beyond the boundary of the church into Pitt Street. This demomstrates how, even in the early days, public planning can work around worthwhile obstructions. Closest rail station - Central.
To find out more on the history of the church, including it's organ, bells and archives or to attend a church service please click here
The splendid organ inside the Christ Church St Laurence. Picture: Sardaka, Wikipedia
The narrow facade of the Christ Church St Laurence. The church is situated in Railway Square, George Street. Picture: Sardaka, Wikipedia