Est 1994, Sydney's oldest tourism website
St Patrick's Church opened its doors in early 1844 with work having started on its construction with the blessing of the Foundation Stone by Dr John Bede Ponting, Australia's first Bishop, in 1840.
It was the second Catholic Church built in Sydney, yet it is considered to be the cities oldest Catholic Church. Although St Mary's Cathedral was the first Catholic church built it later burnt down and was rebuilt in 1882.
In 1868 the parish, together with the Church, was entrusted to the care of the Marist Fathers.
The Sisters of Mercy, who conducted schools in the parish, arrived in 1864.
The outstanding features of the Church are its imposing high alter which was crafted in Paris and installed in 1889. The impressive stain glass windows, the oldest of which are found in the sanctuary, were installed in 1849.
Most of the statues located throughout the church date from the early 20th century and were imported from France.
The Church is situated at 20 Grosvenor Street, The Rocks. Closest rail station is Wynyard.
To find out more on the history of the church, mass times and attending a church service, click here